JONESBORO, Ark. (3/4/18) – The Arkansas State women’s tennis team jumped out to an early advantage with two victories in the doubles’ matches but were unable to carry the momentum into singles’ competition in a 4-3 loss to Murray State on Sunday afternoon at the A-State Tennis Complex.
For the third straight match the Red Wolves captured the doubles’ point behind strong outings from the pairs of Kirsty Veter/Sabina Jeresic and Anita Detlava/Berta Masdevall Masip who easily cruised to victories. Venter and Jeresic, who are now 5-4 in doubles’ competition this season, defeated Sarah Bjork/Jeanne Masson 6-1 on court three, while Detlava and Masdevall Masip earned their first win as a doubles’ pair in a 6-1 decision over Sara Loncarevic and Amina Hadzic.
In singles’ competition Venter ran her winning streak to three straight matches with a 6-4, 6-2 victory over Bjork to put A-State ahead 2-0 in the match. Murray State evened the match with victories on courts one and two over Shelby King and Anita Detlava, but Shannon O'Brien put the Red Wolves back in front with a 6-2, 7-6 win over Masson on court five.
Sabina Jeresic lost a tough three set match on court three to Hadzic to once again bring the match even at three points apiece. The Racers were able to take the match when Sara Loncarevic battled back against Masdevall Masip after losing the first set to win the next two in a 6-7, 6-2, 6-1 victory.
“You can see the improvement we are making every time we compete,” A-State head Kel Lange said. “We’ve won the doubles’ point in three straight matches now and we just have to get our singles’ play to catch up. We are close and they hard work we are putting in during practice is paying off with our performances during these matches.”
The Red Wolves conclude their four-match home stand on Wednesday with a match up against Arkansas-Pine Bluff. First serve is set for 1 p.m.
Follow the Red Wolves tennis team on Twitter at @AStateTennis for the latest news and information.
Tennis Match Results
Arkansas State vs Murray State
March 4, 2018 at Jonesboro, Arkansas
(A-State Tennis Complex)
Murray State 4, Arkansas State 3
- CHANG,Claire (MUR) def. Shelby King (ASU) 6-3, 6-4
- SHARAPOVA,Stasya (MUR) def. Anita Detlava (ASU) 6-4, 7-6
- HADZIC,Amina (MUR) def. Sabina Jeresic (ASU) 6-3, 0-6, 6-3
- LONCAREVIC,Sara (MUR) def. Berta Masdevall Masip (ASU) 6-7, 6-2, 6-1
- Shannon O'Brien (ASU) def. MASSON,Jeanne (MUR) 6-2, 7-6
- Kirsty Venter (ASU) def. BJORK,Sarah (MUR) 6-4, 6-2
- Anita Detlava/Berta Masdevall Masip (ASU) def. LONCAREVIC,Sara/HADZIC,Amina (MUR) 6-2
- Shannon O'Brien/Shelby King (ASU) vs. CHANG,Claire/SHARAPOVA,Stasya (MUR) 3-4, unfinished
- Kirsty Venter/Sabina Jeresic (ASU) def. BJORK,Sarah/MASSON,Jeanne (MUR) 6-1
Murray St 3-4
Arkansas State 2-9
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (6,1,2,5,3,4)