Indian Club


Arkansas State Traditions


The Arch -located in the Middle of Campus

     The concrete arch in the heart of the ASU campus was presented by the

1927 graduating class of the Training School, a high school operated by the college at that time. It marked the entrance to the original administration building, which was destroyed by fire in 1931.




     This marble statue of a staid old Indian Chief, now stationed in the Reng Center on campus, was purchased by the ASU Student Government Association for $1,200 in 1958 to be a source of pride with the school’s  athletic nickname.

It was carved in Italy and bought through the Clyde Spence Monument Company of  Jonesboro, which is how it acquired the name “Clyde.”

     When first bought, it was positioned in the lobby of Wilson Hall. Freshmen were required to tip their beenies when passing by. If caught by an upperclassman not performing that ritual, the freshman was required to sing the ASU Fight Song on the spot.

     Clyde was moved to the Reng Center in 1964, and the ritual was required of freshmen until 1970. When the new student center opened in the spring of 2004, Clyde was moved to his current home.

     ASU Head Track and Field Coach Jay Flanagan and wife Liz, an academics adviser for ASU’s student-athletes, recently sponsored a plaque located at the foot of the statue which details Clyde’s history.

Click here for the Beanie Song


‘Indian Uprising’

    This is a tradition whereby ASU fans attending home games stand for the opening tipoff or kick-off—at the request of the public address announcer.


    It began during the early 1980’s at old Indian Fieldhouse