A-State Tennis Defeated by No. 38 Tulane 6-0
MURFREESBORO, Tenn. (4/6/13) – The Arkansas State women’s tennis team fell to No. 38 Tulane 6-0 in a neutral site match Saturday at Murfreesboro, Tenn.
The Red Wolves are now 5-7 on the season, while Tulane improved to 15-6. The Red Wolves series record against the Green Wave is now 1-1. The teams only played singles and Tulane won all six matches.
Week Nine Sun Belt Conference Player of the Week Tamara Slijepcevic squared off against the No. 66 ranked player in the nation Klara Vyskocilova. Slijepcevic wasn’t able to pull the upset and fell in straight sets 6-3, 6-1 to Vyskocilova.
Janie Nowland wasn’t able to take advantage of her first set sweep of Jenny Hois as Hois battled back to defeat Nowland 0-6, 6-1, 6-3. Biljana Miloshevska fell to Emma Levy in straight sets 6-2, 6-0 and Ioana Teu lost to Ipek Birol 6-1, 6-0.
“We played a great team today,” ASU tennis coach Marina Engelbrecht said. “This was a great learning experience for us and Janie played an awesome first set for us. I look forward to tomorrow’s match.”
A-State takes on the Blue Raiders of Middle Tennessee State Sunday at noon. The Blue Raiders are 8-9 on the season and lost to Tulane Friday by a score of 6-1.
1. No. 66 Klara Vyskocilova (TLN) def. Tamara Slijepcevic (ASU) 6-3, 6-1
2. Jenny Hois (TLN) def. Janie Nowland (ASU) 0-6, 6-1, 6-3
3. Emma Levy (TLN) def. Biljana Miloshevska (ASU) 6-2, 6-0
4. Ipek Birol (TLN) def. Ioana Teu (ASU) 6-1, 6-0
5. Caroline Thornton (TLN) def. Jess Heeps-Eriksen (ASU) 6-1, 6-26. Caroline Magnusson (TLN) def. Sofia Krsmanovic (ASU) 6-0, 6-1