A-State Tennis Falls to UALR 4-3 in Close Match
LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (4/10/13) – The Arkansas State women’s tennis team dropped a 4-3 decision to UALR (14-9)as the Red Wolves fell to 5-9 overall and 0-6 against Sun Belt Conference opponents.
A-State had three singles winners on the day. In the No. 1 position Tamara Slijepcevic defeated Veronique Luksich 6-1, 4-6, 6-2. Biljana Miloshevska was victorious over Viktoriya Plyuta 6-1, 7-6 (7-4), while Jess Heeps-Eriksen defeated Dane Vorster 7-5, 1-6, 6-2.
A-State won the No. 1 doubles match when Nowland/Teu defeated Michaela McShane/Luksich 8-2. The Red Wolves couldn’t secure the doubles point when Slijepcevic/Heeps-Eriksen lost to Vorster/Amsallem 9-7 and Miloshevska/Krsmanovic were defeated by Plyuta/Galieva 8-5.
"All the credit to UALR," ASU tennis coach Marina Engelbrecht said. "They played a great competitive match."
The Red Wolves return to action in its final regular season match and final home match against Louisiana-Monroe on Saturday, April 13. First serve is set for 11:00 a.m. at Allen Park. It’s senior day for the Red Wolves and is also Campus Kids’ Day.
1. Slijepcevic, Tamara (ASU) def. Luksich, Veronique (UALR) 6-1, 4-6, 6-2
2. Kakovkina, Yana (UALR) def. Nowland, Janie (ASU) 6-3, 6-2
3. Miloshevska, Biljana (ASU) def. Plyuta, Viktoriya (UALR) 6-1, 7-6 (7-4)
4. Galieva, Kamilla (UALR) def. Teu, Ioana (ASU) 6-0, 6-0
5. Heeps-Eriksen, Jess (ASU) def. Vorster, Dané (UALR) 7-5, 1-6, 6-2
6. Amsallem, Christel (UALR) def. Krsmanovic, Sofia (ASU) 6-3, 6-2
Doubles competition3. Plyuta, Viktoriya/Galieva, Kamilla (UALR) def. Miloshevska, Biljana/Krsmanovic, Sofia (ASU) 8-5