|Arkansas State vs. Arkansas-Monticello
Tuesday, Nov. 5, 2013 | 7:05 p.m. CT
Jonesboro, Arkansas | Convocation Center (10,563)
TV: None | Video: StateZone
| Video/Audio | Live Stats | Tickets
The Arkansas State University men's basketball will close out exhibition play for the 2013-14 season this Tuesday (Nov. 5) night against the Arkansas-Monticello Boll Weevils at the Convocation Center in Jonesboro, Ark. As an exhibition, the contest won't officially count in the record books.
The Red Wolves posted an 83-72 home exhibition win over in-state foe Henderson State last Saturday (Nov. 2) evening as four A-State players reach double-figure scoring, led by senior forward Kirk Van Slyke's 18 points and game-high tying eight rebounds. Senior guard Brandon Reed and sophomore forward Raeford Worsham netted 13 points apiece while senior guard Ed Townsel contributed 12 points. Worsham also pulled down eight boards in the win.
• A-State holds a 9-3 advantage over Arkansas-Monticello in the all-time series, which originated in the 1927-28 campaign. The Red Wolves recorded a 76-47 home decision over the Boll Weevils in their 2012-13 season opener (11/13/12) in Jonesboro. Prior to last season's matchup, the last time the two in-state schools met was in the 1957-58 campaign when A-State won 69-65. The Red Wolves dropped a 71-66 exhibition home decision to UAM in the 2004-05 campaign (11/7/04).
•The Red Wolves posted a 76-47 home victory in last season’s regular-season opener (11/13). Four A-State players tallied double-digit points, led by Trey Finn with 15 points and Ed Townsel had 14 points off the bench. Kendrick Washington pumped in 13 points and grabbed six rebounds while Brandon Peterson scored 12 points to go with a game-high 15 boards.
• The Boll Weevils were 16-11 overall for the 2012-13 season, which included a fourth-place tying 11-9 mark in the NCAA Division II Great American Conference (GAC).
• UAM dropped an 85-64 exhibition decision to Louisiana Tech last Wednesday (Oct. 30) in Ruston, La., as senior forward Brandon Wilson and junior forward D’Audrio Patton lead the way with 19 and 17 points, respectively. Patton pulled down a game-high 10 rebounds and Wilson grabbed eight caroms.
• The Boll Weevils return two starters from its 2012-13 squad in senior forward Dayton Mickens (10.2 ppg and 5.9 rpg.) and senior guard Josh Gibson (4.2 ppg. and 1.8 rpg.). UAM was picked fourth in the 11-member 2013-14 GAC Coaches Preseason Poll. The Boll Weevils welcome back four returnees and nine newcomers, including former A-State guard Jordan Weaver. Weaver averaged 1.0 points (nine pts.) and 0.7 rebounds (six rebs.) for the Red Wolves in nine contests a season ago.
• Head coach Allen Sharpe in his fourth season and led UAM to 14-13 (2010-11) and 21-9 (2011-12) records in his first two seasons. Prior to UAM, Sharpe spent five seasons (2005-10) as head coach at Wallace State Community College in Hanceville, Ala., where he went 136-30 and led his team to a top ranking in the National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA) Top 25 poll. Sharpe, who’s father (Gary) was one of UAM’s most successful coaches, also served as head coach at Truett-McConnell College (2002-05).
• A-State is 18-1 in exhibition contests since 2004-05 with its only loss being a 71-66 home setback to Arkansas-Monticello (11/7) in the 2004-05 season.
• The Red Wolves have outscored their opponent by 457 points (1,558-1,112) in exhibition outings since 2004-05 and are averaging 86.4 points per game to the opposition’s 62.3 points a contest, a differential of 24.1 points per outing.
• A-State has recorded double-digit victories in 16 of its last 17 exhibition games to date, which includes the last eight contests following an 83-72 home triumph over Henderson State last Saturday (11/2). A season ago, the Red Wolves claimed an 83-67 win over Southern Arkansas (11/1) and a 95-65 victory versus Henderson State (11/6).
• A-State has won all six of its exhibition contests under head coach John Brady – 93-46 (11/3/08) in his A-State debut, 80-61 (11/5/09), 71-53 (11/8/10), 80-55 (11/3/11), 95-65 (11/6/12), and 83-72 (11/2/13).
2013-14 SUN BELT CONFERENCE COACHES POLL
• A-State was chosen to finish third place in the 2013-14 Sun Belt Conference Coaches Preseason Poll, which was released Oct. 30 by the conference office. The Red Wolves totaled 74 points in voting conducted by the conference's 10 head coaches.
REED AND TOWNSEL EARN SBC PRESEASON RECOGNITION
• A pair of senior guards, Brandon Reed and Ed Townsel were named to the 2013-14 All Sun Belt Conference Preseason Team. Reed received second-team accolades while Townsel attained third-team recognition.
2013-14 A-STATE MEN'S BASKETBALL TICKET INFORMATION
• Individual single-game prices are $25 for lower level, $12 for the upper center area, $10 for the upper side, $8 for the upper wings and ends, $6 for children and senior citizens (age 55+), and $5 group rate purchase of 12 tickets or more.
• Tickets may be purchased through the A-State Central Box Office by calling 870-972-2781 or 888-ASU-FANS or by ordering online at www.astate.edu/tickets. Ticket information for the 2013-14 season is also available on A-State Athletics’ official website – www.AStateRedWolves.com.
A-STATE BASKETBALL GAME PROMOTIONS
• A number of exciting game promotions will be held throughout the 2013-14 season. Please visit 2013-14 GameDay Promotions. For more information, contact the Arkansas State Athletics Marketing Department at 870-972-2943 or email email@example.com.