Men's Basketball Hosts UT-Martin in Home Opener
|Arkansas State vs. Tennessee-Martin
Wednesday, Nov. 13, 2013 | 7:05 p.m. CT
Jonesboro, Arkansas | Convocation Center (10,038)
TV: None | Video: StateZone
| Video/Audio | Live Stats | Tickets
The home opener for the 2013-14 Arkansas State University men's basketball team is this Wednesday (Nov. 13) evening as the Red Wolves face the Tennessee-Martin Skyhawks in a non-conference game at the A-State Convocation Center in Jonesboro, Ark. Opening tip is scheduled for 7:05 p.m. (CT).
The Red Wolves were victorious in their season opener Monday (Nov. 11) at Jackson State as A-State overcame an 11-point deficit late in the second half to claim a 65-61 victory and snap a three-game skid in such outings. Sophomore guard Cameron Golden (16), senior forward Kirk Van Slyke (14), and senior guard Melvin Johnson III (13) netted double figures in points for the Red Wolves.
• Arkansas State has a 14-5 advantage in the all-time series which started in the 1935-36 season. A-State is 8-2 at home versus the Skyhawks and 5-0 inside the Convocation Center. The Red Wolves have won the last five meetings, including a thrilling 77-73 triple overtime win last season (11/16/12) at UTM. Six of the last 10 matchups have been decided by single digits.
• The Skyhawks are presently 0-2 for the 2013-14 season as a result of suffering a pair of non-conference losses on the road to Wyoming (78-60) and Colorado (91-65).
• Junior guard Marshun Newell presently leads UT-Martin in both scoring (14.5 ppg.) and rebounding (3.5 rpg.) Sophomore guard Dee Oldham (13.0 ppg.) and junior guard Terence Smith (12.5 ppg.) are also averaging double digits in points. Newell and Smith both scored a game-high tying 15 points in the Skyhawks’ 91-65 loss at Colorado last Sunday (11/10).
• The Skyhawks were picked to finish fourth in the 2013-14 Ohio Valley Conference (OVC) West Division Coaches’ Preseason Poll.
• A season ago, UT-Martin compiled a 9-21 overall record with a fourth-place tying 5-11 ledger in the OVC’s West Division.
• Head coach Jason James has guided the UT-Martin program since the 2009-10 campaign after spending the previous seven as an assistant coach with the Skyhawks, which included as associate head coach in the program's 2008-09 OVC Championship season. James also served two seasons as an assistant at Forest Park Community College in St. Louis, Mo., and was UT-Martin's all-time fourth-leading scorer.
• The Red Wolves are 13-3 (.813 win pct.) in their last 16 home openers following a 76-47 victory over Arkansas-Monticello in last season’s (11/13/12) home opener and have won four of their last five home-opening contests to date. Two seasons ago (2011-12), A-State dropped a 77-46 decision to Missouri State (11/15/11). A-State head coach John Brady is 4-1 in such outings since his arrival in the 2008-09 campaign
• A-State went 6-3 (.667) for the 2012-13 season, which included 4-1 at home and 2-2 on the road.
• The Red Wolves are 47-48 (.495) overall to date since 2006-07, which included a season-high 8-4 non- league mark in the 2008-09 season – 6-0 at home and 3-4 on the road.
• A-State has amassed a mark of 31-7 at home, 10-32 on the road, and 6-9 at neutral sites since 2006-07.
• A-State coach John Brady sports a 35-33 (.515) record in non-conference games since his arrival in the 2008-09 campaign – 22-6 at home, 9-20 on the road, and 4-7 at neutral sites.
PRODUCTIVE A-STATE DEBUTS
• A pair of seniors, Kirk Van Slyke and Melvin Johnson III made their Arkansas State debuts a successful one in Monday’s (11/11) 65-61 season-opening win at Jackson State. Van Slyke scored a team second-most 14 points on five-of-seven shooting from the floor, which included connecting on all three triple attempts in 20 minutes as a starter. Johnson III pumped in a squad third-highest 13 points in 32 minutes of playing time, highlighted by four-of-seven from beyond the arc and grabbing a team-high tying six rebounds in a starting capacity.
• A-State had three players tally double-digit points in the Red Wolves’ 2013-14 season-opening triumph at Jackson State as sophomore guard Cameron Golden (16 pts.), Kirk Van Slyke (14 pts.), and Melvin Johnson III (13 pts.) combined to account for 66.2% (43-65) of the team’s points production.
• The Red Wolves’ season-opening win at Jackson State marked the program’s first road victory in a season opener since the 2003-04 season (11/21/03) when A-State defeated Ole Miss, 74-69, en route to compiling a 17-11 overall mark.
2013-14 SUN BELT CONFERENCE COACHES POLL
• A-State was chosen to finish third place in the 2013-14 Sun Belt Conference Coaches Preseason Poll, which was released Oct. 30 by the conference office. The Red Wolves totaled 74 points in voting conducted by the conference's 10 head coaches.
REED AND TOWNSEL EARN SBC PRESEASON RECOGNITION
2013-14 A-STATE MEN'S BASKETBALL TICKET INFORMATION
• Individual single-game prices are $25 for lower level, $12 for the upper center area, $10 for the upper side, $8 for the upper wings and ends, $6 for children and senior citizens (age 55+), and $5 group rate purchase of 12 tickets or more.
• Tickets may be purchased through the A-State Central Box Office by calling 870-972-2781 or 888-ASU-FANS or by ordering online at www.astate.edu/tickets. Ticket information for the 2013-14 season is also available on A-State Athletics’ official website – www.AStateRedWolves.com.
• Anumber of convenient and affordable mini-plan and group tickets are also available for purchase. Click on this link for more information.
A-STATE BASKETBALL GAME PROMOTIONS
• A number of exciting game promotions will be held throughout the 2013-14 season. Please visit 2013-14 GameDay Promotions. For more information, contact the Arkansas State Athletics Marketing Department at 870-972-2943 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.