|Arkansas State at 4:30 p.m.
March 1, 2014 | 4:30 p.m.
Little Rock, Arkansas | Jack Stephens Center
TV: N/A | Video: AStateRedWolves.com
| Video/Audio | Live Stats | Tickets
The Arkansas State women’s basketball team will play its final regular season road contest of the season Saturday, March 1 against UALR at the Jack Stephens Center on the campus of Arkansas-Little Rock. A-State is looking to clinch a share of the regular Sun Belt Conference championship and lock up the No. 1 seed with a victory against the Trojans.
The Red Wolves are coming off a pair of home victories against UT Arlington and Texas State and are on the verge of winning their first SBC championship since the 2003-04 season when the squad captured a share of the West Division crown. Several scenarios are in play for A-State to win the title outright, but the easiest scenario consists of the Red Wolves two of their remaining three games to clinch the championship outright.
Sophomore guard Aundrea Gamble was recently recognized as being a super sophomore by NCAA.com for ranking 10th in the nation in scoring among all sophomore and being one of 60 freshman and sophomore players ranked in the 250 in scoring in the NCAA.
UALR is coming off a loss at Troy but still ranks third in the Sun Belt Conference standings entering the final week of competition.
The game can be heard on 95.3FM/970AM and AStateRedWolves.com
ARKANSAS STATE/UALR HISTORY
• This will be the 59th meeting all-time between A-State and UALR with the Red Wolves holding a 44-14 all-time advantage.
• The second largest crowd in A-State women’s basketball history occurred on Jan. 10, 2002 when 6,149 people attended the game between A-State and UALR.
• A-State won the first 18 games in the series, UALR has enjoyed the most recent success by
winning 10 of the last 13 match ups.
• The Red Wolves have never won in the Jack Stephens Center, going 0-8 since the arena opened in 2005-06
• Overall A-State has had success in Little Rock, going 17-9 against the Trojans on their home court.
• One of A-State’s largest victories was a 90-39 (51 points) victory over UALR during the 1975-76 season.
• Brian Boyer is 18-12 against UALR all-time.
• A-State was ranked 15th in the Louisville region of ESPN latest Bracketology report put out by Charlie Creme on ESPN.com.
• Creme currently has the Red Wolves slated to play Louisville in Baton Rouge.
• The NCAA selection will air live on Monday, March 17 at 6 p.m. on ESPN.
WHAT WOULD HAPPEN IF.......
• A-State has a 2 game lead over WKU coming into Saturday’s match up with UALR.
• An A-State win would clinch the No. 1 seed and give the Red Wolves a share of the SBC title.
• An A-State win and a WKU loss would give the Red Wolves to regular season title outright for the first time in school history.
• A-State loss and a WKU win would give the Red Wolves a 1 game lead going into the final week of the season.
• Arkansas State can clinch the regular season title out right when any combination of a win in its last three games and a WKU loss in its last three games OR A-State can clinch outright with two victories in its last three games.
SUN BELT TIE BREAKER RULES
• Highest win-loss percentage of head-to-head competition during the regular season.
• Each teams’ win-loss percentage vs. the team occupying the highest position in the final
regular-season standings, and then continuing down through the standings until one teams gains an advantage.
• When arriving at another group of tied teams while comparing records, use each team’s record against the collective tied teams as a group (prior to that group’s own tie-breaking procedure), rather than the performance against individual tied teams.
• If the records are the same against all teams, then the seeded position would be determined by a toss of the coin by the Sun Belt Conference Commissioner.
IN SEARCH OF THE TITLE
• Arkansas State is going after its first Sun Belt Conference regular season title since the 2003-04 season when it won a share of the West Division title.
• A-State has never won the SBC Overall (No. 1 seed) title.
BOYER EYES SBC RECORD
• Brian Boyer is now tied for the most Sun Belt Conference wins in league history after the Red Wolves victory over Texas State Feb. 22.
• He tied the record of 135, which was held by former La. Tech head coach Leon Barrmore and
current FIU head coach Cindy Russo.
• He needs 1 more to become the all-time leader in the category.
50 PERCENT OF THE TIME ITS GOOD EVERYTIME
• Arkansas State shot exactly 50 percent from the field in back-to-back games against Tennessee Tech and Central Arkansas in the month of
• The Red Wolves went 30-of-60 against Tennessee Tech on Dec. 18 and then came back to go 26-of-52 from the field against UCA on Dec. 21.
• Four times this season A-State has shot exactly 50 percent with the most recent coming against Texas State Feb. 22.
• The other occurrence was against Kent State when the squad was 32-of-64 from the field.
• A-State is 8-1 in games in which it shoots at least 50 percent from the field this season.
GAMBLE A SUPER SOPHOMORE
• Sophomore guard Aundrea Gamble is one of 60 freshmen and sophomores players ranked among the 250 scorers in the NCAA rankings.
• She currently has the 10th highest scoring average among all sophomores in the NCAA.
O’BANNON CAN’T MISS
• Jalen O’Bannon went 5-for-5 from the field in A-State’s game against UTA on Feb. 15, tying the Convocation Center for highest field goal percentage.
• She also tied the record last season by going 6-for-6 from the field against ULL on Dec. 22, 2012.
• She has not missed from the field in her previous seven attempts.
#ASTATEWB IS #NOLABOUND
• Arkansas State has secured itself a berth in the 2014 Sun Belt Conference Tournament after its victory over South Alabama on Feb. 12.
• This will be A-State’s 22nd trip to the Sun Belt Conference Tournament which is scheduled to run March 12-15 in New Orleans at Lake Front Arena.