|A-State Women’s Tennis Drops Match at UTEP|
EL PASO, Texas (4/13/14) – The Arkansas State women’s tennis team dropped a 5-2 decision to the University of Texas at El Paso Sunday at the El Paso Tennis Club.
The Miners (12-12) swept the doubles competition to earn the doubles point from the Red Wolves (6-10). A-State’s Tamara Slijepcevic defeated Redeca Calvillo in straight sets 6-2, 6-4 to earn one point for Arkansas State and the Red Wolves earned another point when Julie Gauguery recorded a win over Marie LeBlond when LeBlond retired down 2-0 in the third set after each took one set.
A-State’s Janie Nowland fought hard in the second set of her match, but ultimately fell to Davina Meza 6-1, 7-5, while Biljana Miloshevska dropped a 6-2, 6-3 decision to Gabi Vazquez. The Miners got their last two points of the match when Daphne Visscher topped Victoria Pisani in straight sets 6-2, 6-3 and Matilda Rose Tench dropped Jess Heeps-Eriksen by a count of 6-2, 6-3.
“This was not the finish to the regular-season we were looking for,” A-State head coach Marina Engelbrecht said. “We plan on having a hard week of practice to get ready for a good conference tournament.”
Arkansas State returns to action in the Sun Belt Conference Tournament, scheduled for April 17-20 in New Orleans, La.
1. Tamara Slijepcevic (A-STATE) def. Rebeca Calvillo (UTEP) 6-2, 6-4
2. Davina Meza (UTEP) def. Janie Nowland (A-STATE) 6-1, 7-5
3. Julie Gauguery (A-STATE) def. Marie LeBlond (UTEP) 3-6, 6-4, 2-0, retired
4. Gabi Vazquez (UTEP) def. Biljana Miloshevska (A-STATE) 6-2, 6-3
5. Daphne Visscher (UTEP) def. Victoria Pisani (A-STATE) 6-2, 6-3
6. Matilda Rose Tench (UTEP) def. Jess Heeps-Eriksen (A-STATE) 6-2, 6-3
Arkansas State 6-10UTEP 12-12