CONWAY, S.C. (1/7/17) – The Arkansas State women’s basketball team suffered a heartbreaking 57-55 loss to Coastal Carolina at the HTC Center Saturday afternoon.
- Senior Dominique Oliver led A-State with 11 points. It is the 5th time this season she led the team in scoring.
- Tahlon Hopkins also finished in double-figures with 10 points, all in the first half.
- Lauren Bradshaw led A-State with 10 rebounds. It was her second game of the year with 10 boards.
First Half Summary
- A-State closed the first quarter on a 13-0 run and held Coastal Carolina scoreless for the final 5:20 of the period.
- The run extended to 15-0 with the first basket of the second quarter as A-State took a 19-8 lead.
- Coastal Carolina led 8-4 at the first media timeout, but A-State scored six points in under a minute to take its first lead of the night.
- Tahlon Hopkins scored 10 points and had six rebounds. Five of her rebounds came on the defensive glass.
- A-State outrebounded Coastal Carolina 27-18 in the half, and held an 8-3 edge on the offensive glass.
- The Red Wolves had 10 second chance points, while CCU was held to just 3.
Second Half Summary
- Payton Tennison and Brittany Fowler combined to go 4-for-4 from beyond the arc in the third quarter.
- A-State led 52-41 at the end of the the third quarter.
- Coastal Carolina held A-State scoreless for the final 5:56 of the game and outscored the Red Wolves 15-4 in the period.
- Coastal took its first lead since the first quarter with 1:51 to go in the game on a free throw attempt.
The Turning Point
- A-State turned the ball over on an inbound pass with 3.7 seconds to go in the game while down 56-55.
- A-State tied a season-high with 26 turnovers on the afternoon.
- This was the first ever meeting between A-State and Coastal Carolina.
From Coach Boyer
- “Commend that group that finished the game on the floor because they did just about everything that they could do and we played only three guards for almost the entire second half,” A-State head coach Brian Boyer said. “We were a lot better tonight than we were Thursday night. We rebounded the ball better and shot it better, but our turnover numbers got out of hand but I think that might be more of the fatigue factor there at the end.”
Arkansas State will travel to Little Rock for a road contest. Tipoff is set for 4 p.m. at the Jack Stephens Center.
For the latest on the A-State women’s basketball log onto the team’s Facebook page at Facebook.com/RedWolvesWBB, or follow them on Twitter @AStateWB and on Instagram at “AStateWBB.”