Arkansas State Official Logos and Licensing 


Why have a licensing progam?

A trademark licensing program gives the university control over its logos and marks, thus, ensuring the quality and consistency of all the University's merchandise. It also enables the University to generate revenue from the sale of merchandise bearing its logos and marks.


The revenue is used to support and enhance many programs campus-wide. Outside of the University, the trademark licensing program creates a cooperative and positive working relationship with the manufacturers and retailers who work with the University.


What qualifies as a trademark?

Any mark, logo, symbol, nickname, letter(s), words, or combination of these that can be associated with the Universtiy qualifies as a trademark.


What products can be licensed ?

Students, alumni and fans generate many great ideas for new University products. Products will be considered and must be approved by the University's Licensing Director. No products will be licensed without the approval of the Licensing Director. This ensures all products associated with the University are of high quality and good taste, and ensures the non-approval of potentially hazardous items.


Who needs a license?

Anyone wishing to use the marks, logos, and symbols of the University must obtain a license.


What if you do not get a license?

All products must be approved by the athletics licensing office. Failure to obtain a license or approval from the athletics licensing office would be grounds for the seizure of all non-approved merchandise bearing the University's marks. It also could result in jail time and numerous fines, if convicted.


Can an alumni or student group sell products using the University's marks as a fundraiser?

Before contacting local manufacturers regarding new products, designs, or an idea fundraiser, be sure to check with the athletics licensing office. They will be able to identify local manufacturers to produce the items, saving everyone time and effort. Also, items bearing the marks of Arkansas State University cannot be used in conjunction with another non-profit agency's marks in a fundraising effort for that group.


What about using the University's name or logo on a web site?

Every use of the University's trademark, word marks or otherwise requires permission from the athletics licensing office. The World Wide Web has made it easy for alumni, fans and supporters to build pages with the University's name and logos, and the University appreciates this support. However, federal trademark laws require that the University control its name and marks; therefore, the University must be very selective in granting permission in these and all instances. For more information, contact the athletics licensing office.


Who is responsible fo the program?

The person responsible for the trademark program at Arkansas State is:


Sarah Munoz

P.O. Box 1000

State University, AR  72467

Phone:  870-972-2950

Fax:  870-972-2449


How can you obtain a license application?

Organizations outside Arkansas State University who wish to obtain a license to produce merchandise must submit a license application. This application informs the University of how its marks will be used, what type of product the applicant makes, how the University is going to be represented, etc. Applications can be obtained by contacting:


IMG College Licensing

1075 Peachtree Street, Ste. 3300
Atlanta, GA 30309

770-956-0520 or (fax)770-955-4491


What is the Collegiate Licensing Company?

The Collegiate Licensing Company is the licensing representative for the University. As the University's representative, CLC is responsible for administering the licensing program, including processing appications, collecting royalties, enforcing trademarks and pursuing new market opportunities for the University.


Who is licensed with the University?

Either the Athletics Licensing office or CLC can provide a list of current licensees carrying the University's merchandise. It is typically much easier to utilize an established University licensee than to try and license a new product or idea. Both the University and CLC can provide you with information on the products produced by all licensees, so you can match you needs with the right company.


The "Officially Licensed Collegiate Products" label signifies merchandise has passed the standards of quality set forth by the University and a portion of the purchase is returned to the University. 


What are the University's Trademarks?

The University's trademarks are any of the logos, marks, symbols, nicknames, letter(s) or word(s).  Any design that could cause public confusion due to similarity is an infringement on the University's trademark rights.


What about handmade items or decor?

You may be eligible for a Crafters' License. Visit our Crafters License page for details ( Please call 870-972-2950 with any questions before applying. Any products requiring vector based artwork are not eligible for a Crafters' License.