JONESBORO, ARK. (12/1/17) – The Arkansas State University track and field program has signed 15 talented student-athletes in its fall early signing period. These 15 signees will join the A-State track and field program in the 2018-19 academic year.
The Red Wolves welcome thrower Jermaine Anderson, distance runner Julia Brenner, distance runner McKenzie Cornell, distance runner Madison Grimm, distance runner Owen Habeger, thrower Evangelynn Harris, thrower LeeRoi Johnson, jumper Megan Knowling, jumper Sydney Lane, distance runner Sophie Leathers, distance runner Sophia Oury, distance runner Logan Simington, distance runner Clayton Stuart, distance runner Kayla Wade and distance runner Eva Wilk.
We are really pleased with this years early signing class, both in the quality and depth of their performances and the impact they will have on our team next season," said A-State head coach Jim Patchell. "We had a total of 15 which is the most we have signed in the early signing period. Four of our signees were ranked in the top 12 nationally in their events and should make an immediate contribution. We also added some much needed depth to our distance squad. Overall we are excited to have each of these student athletes join our program."
Below is a breakdown of the newest additions to the Arkansas State track and field program.
Jermaine Anderson | Chapel Hill HS
Hometown: Douglasville, Ga.
Personal Bests: Shot Put 63-8 | Discus 171-10
- Ranked nationally as the No. 8 shot putter in the class of 2018
- Class 4A State Champion Discus, runner-up shot put
- 12th place finish Shot Put at 2017 New Balance Outdoor Nationals
- 4th place finish Shot Put at USATF 2017 National Junior Olympic Championships
Julia Brenner| Serrano HS
Hometown: Wrightwood, Calif.
Personal Bests: 1600m 5:20.23
McKenzie Cornell | Serrano HS
Hometown: Wrightwood, Calif.
Personal Bests: 800m 2:24.32 | 1600m 5:18.82
Madison Grimm | Hardin Valley HS
Hometown: Knoxville, Tenn.
Personal Bests: 1600m 5:13.79 | 3200m 11:16.56
- State Qualifier in the 1600m (13th) and 3200m (16th) in 2017
Owen Habeger | Illinois Valley Central HS
Hometown: Chillicothe, Ill.
Personal Bests: 1600m 4:24.88 | 3200m 9:58.34
- Finished 11th at state in the 1600m in 2017
- Finished 14th in the state in cross country in 2017
Evangelynn Harris | East St. Louis HS
Hometown: East St. Louis, Ill.
Personal Bests: Shot put 45-11.25 | Discus 135-8
- Ranked nationally at No. 10 among shot putters in 2018 class
- Illinois Girls 3A State Championships runner-up in shot put in 2016
LeeRoi Johnson | Tonganoxie HS
Hometown: Tonganoxie, Kan.
Personal Bests: Shot put 54-3.00 | Discus 192-10
- Ranked No. 2 nationally in the class of 2018 among discus throwers
- Kansas 4A State Champion Discus, third place shot put
Megan Knowling | Ellington HS
Hometown: Ellington, Conn.
Personal Bests: High jump 5-5.00 | Triple jump 36-6.00
- New Balance Nationals Qualifier in the High Jump
- State Qualifier in the High Jump
Sydney Lane | Rivercrest HS
Hometown: Keiser, Ark.
Personal Bests: High jump 5-8.00
- Ranked #13 nationally in the high jump in the 2018 class
- 3x Indoor State Champion in the High Jump
- 3x Outdoor State Champion in the High Jump
- 2x Meet of Champions Winner in the High Jump
- 2017 State Heptathlon Runner Up
Sophie Leathers | Coffeyville Heritage HS
Hometown: Euless, Texas
Personal Bests: 1600m 5:24.69
- State Qualifier in Cross Country in 2017 (48th)
Sophia Oury | Hampshire HS
Hometown: Hampshire, Illinois
Personal Bests: 1600m 5:11.55 | 3200m 11:46.54
- State Championship Qualifier in Cross Country and in track (1600m) as a junior
- Sister of current Red Wolf Jacob Oury
Logan Simington | Silver Creek HS
Hometown: Loveland, Colorado
Personal Bests: 1600m 4:34.55 | 3200m 9:34.62
- Ran one of Colorado’s top 5 times last season in the 3200m.
Clayton Stuart | A&M Consolidated HS
Hometown: College Station, Texas
Personal Bests: 800m 1:54.47 | 1600m 4:26.94
- UIL State Qualifier (4th Place) in the 800m
- 8th best 800m Runner in the 2018 class in Texas
Kayla Wade | Grain Valley HS
Hometown: Grain Valley, Mo.
Personal Bests: 800m 2:22.82 | 1600m 5:19.68
- State Qualifier in the 800m (14th)
- State Qualifier in the 1600m (12th)
Eva Wilk | Plano East HS
Hometown: Plano, Texas
Personal Bests: 800m 2:24.16 | 1600m 5:19.00