BOCA RATON, Fla. (12/16/17) – Rashad Lindsey sank a running floater as time expired to give the Arkansas State men’s basketball team a 64-63 victory at Florida Atlantic Saturday night.


Trailing 63-62 with less than 30 seconds to play, Tristin Walley deflected a FAU pass and Lindsey came up with the ball midcourt to give A-State a chance to win. Without a timeout, the Red Wolves pushed it up court and Ty Cockfield drove to the rim, but a layup rimmed out. Cockfield got his own rebound and the ball eventually ended up in the hands of Lindsey at the top of the key. Lindsey drove to the right elbow and dropped in the floater for the game winner.

Deven Simms led A-State with 22 points and 11 rebounds while Cockfield also had double figures with 16 points. Lindsey finished with four points, all coming in the final two minutes. FAU had three players finish in double figures led by 16 points by Ronald Delph.

A-State (4-7) earns its first road win of the season by shooting 45 percent (27-60) and limiting FAU (6-4) to 43 percent (22-51). The Red Wolves were 3-of-17 (18 percent) from 3-point range while the Owls were 4-of-16 (25 percent). A-State struggled at the charity stripe, hitting 41 percent (7-of-17) while the Owls were 79 percent (15-19).

How It Happened (First Half):

The Red Wolves scored the first six points of the game, but FAU answered with the next six to knot the score at 6-6 just under four minutes into the game. A-State scored 13 of the next 15 points to open a 19-8 advantage, capped by an and-1 from Simms, with 12:17 left.

FAU trimmed the Red Wolves advantage to seven, 19-12, but A-State stretched the lead to 12, 26-14, with 6:12 left. The Owls outscored A-State 15-3 the remainder of the half to send it to the break tied at 29.

A-State struggled at the charity stripe, making just 2-of-8 (25 percent) in the first 20 minutes. Neither team hit a 3-pointer until Tristin Walley drained a trey to make it 29-19 with 3:30 on the clock. The Owls hit two 3-pointers late as part of the 15-3 run, including one with five seconds left in the half.

The Red Wolves shot 43 percent (13-30) for the half after starting 9-of-14 (64 percent). FAU was 39 percent (11-28) from the field, hitting 5-of-8 (63 percent) over the final five minutes of the half. The Owls were 5-of-7 (71 percent) at the free throw line, but A-State held a 21-18 advantage on the glass.

How It Happened (Second Half):

A-State and FAU saw a second half of back and forth action that featured nine ties and six lead changes. A four-point lead by FAU, 54-50, with 14:05 left was the largest lead for either team in the final 20 minutes.

Simms had 13 points and six rebounds in the half, none bigger than a defensive rebound with FAU leading 54-51. Simms ended up draining a corner 3-pointer on the ensuing possession to tie the game at 54.

A-State hit 47 percent (14-30) from the field, but only 2-for-10 (20 percent) from 3-point range and 5-for-9 (56 percent) at the charity stripe. FAU was better overall at 48 percent (11-23), but also only converted two 3-pointers, 2-of-7 (29 percent). The Owls cashed in at the charity stripe hitting 15-of-19 (79 percent).


  • Deven Simms notched his third career double-double with 22 points and 11 rebounds. It was his second double-double this season (Eastern Michigan | 23/10)
  • Deven Simms had a game-high 22 points for his fifth 20-plus point effort of the season. It marked the ninth time in 11 games A-State had a player score 20 or more points.
  • A-State earned its first road win of the season and dealt FAU it’s first home loss. FAU came into the game having outscored opponents by average of 36.8 points per game at home.
  • The Red Wolves earned their first win this season when tied at halftime. A-State came in 0-1 when tied at halftime.
  • The win marked the first win in FAU Arena for A-State in the series. The Red Wolves were 0-4 prior to Saturday’s game.

Quoting Coach Balado:

“This as a long time coming. These guys have been resilient and trusting in the process by understanding what we are trying to do. These guys want to win so bad for the community and university, so it’s been hard losing these close games on the road. I’m glad that we got our first road win, but I’m also glad we did it in this demeanor. We dealt with more adversity tonight because we couldn’t buy a free throw for some reason.”

“Everybody played great tonight and everybody gave something. Rashad didn’t have a great game until the last few minutes, but I had confidence in him like I do all these guys and he stepped up and made the play. I’m happy for our guys because they deserved this win.”

Quoting Rashad Lindsey:

“That was probably my fourth or fifth career game-winner, but that one felt the best. I have to give a big shout out to my team, because they all played well. I made the last shot, but this is about my team. When the shot came, I felt like I hadn’t hit a shot the whole game, but my teammates were telling me to stay with it because they believed in me. Deven (Simms) came up to me and said he knew I was going to hit a big shot for us.”

Up Next:

A-State closes the three-game road trip with Tuesday’s game at Wichita State. Tipoff is set for 7:00 p.m. on ESPN3 and 107.9 KFIN.