RICHMOND, Ky. (2/3/18) – The Arkansas State women’s tennis team lost to Eastern Kentucky 6-1 Saturday morning to conclude a two-match road swing through the state.
Eastern Kentucky took early control of the match by taking the doubles’ point with wins on courts one and two and then followed with a straight set victories in five of the six singles’ court matches.
“We played competitive tennis today,” A-State head coach Kel Lange said. “We could rally with them for three or four shots, but eventually they were able to make shots that we were not able to get to. This was a good test for us and we will continue to get better and we look forward to coming back home for our next few matches.”
Shannon O'Brien captures the only win of the afternoon for Arkansas State on court five in a thrilling three-set contest. O’Brien jumped out to a 6-3 advantage after the first set, but fell 2-6 in the second set. In a back-and-forth third set, O’Brien prevailed victories with a 10-8 victory.
The Red Wolves return home to take on Texas-Tyler on Feb. 17.
Follow the Red Wolves tennis team on Twitter at @AStateTennis for the latest news and information.
Tennis Match Results
Arkansas State vs Eastern Kentucky
Feb 03, 2018 at Richmond, Ky.
(Greg Adams Tennis Center)
Eastern Kentucky 6, Arkansas State 1
- Kristina Lagoda (EKU) def. Shelby King (ASU) 6-0, 6-4
- Viktorija Demcenkova (EKU) def. Anita Detlava (ASU) 6-3, 6-2
- L. Aregente Escamill (EKU) def. Sabina Jeresic (ASU) 6-1, 6-3
- Alexandra Belle (EKU) def. B. Masdevall Masip (ASU) 6-2, 6-2
- Shannon O'Brien (ASU) def. Lisa Friess (EKU) 6-3, 2-6, 10-8
- 6. Margaux Lacroix (EKU) def. Kirsty Venter (ASU) 6-4, 6-4
- Viktorija Demcenkova/L. Aregente Escamill (EKU) def. B. Masdevall Masip/Anita Detlava (ASU) 6-1
- Lisa Friess/Alexandra Belle (EKU) def. Shelby King/Shannon O'Brien (ASU) 6-4
- R. Montalvo Perez/Kristina Lagoda (EKU) vs. Kirsty Venter/Sabina Jeresic (ASU) 5-4, unfinished
Match Notes: Arkansas State 1-7 Eastern Kentucky 2-1