LAFAYETTE, La. (3/1/18) – Arkansas State had five players score in double figures, but Louisiana-Lafayette came away with an 85-74 victory at the Cajundome Thursday night.
Ty Cockfield led all scorers with 25 points while Tristin Walley and Salif Boudie had career high scoring nights with 14 and 11 points, respectively. Boudie had a game-high eight rebounds to equal his career high. Frank Bartley led the Ragin’ Cajuns with 18 points.
A-State (10-20, 5-12 SBC) shot 50 percent (27-54) from the field, hitting just 1-of-5 (20 percent) from 3-point range. The Red Wolves sank 19-of-22 (86.4 percent) at the charity stripe and outrebounded the Ragin’ Cajuns 32-27. Louisiana (26-4, 16-1 SBC) shot 49.2 percent (29-59) overall and 10-of-21 (47.6 percent) beyond the arc while hitting 81 percent (17-21) at the free throw line.
The Red Wolves held a 44-34 advantage in the paint, but the Ragin’ Cajuns held a 23-9 edge in second chance points. A-State committed 16 turnovers to 10 assists while Louisiana had 19 assists to 12 turnovers.
How It Happened (First Half):
Both teams fared well from the field in the first 12 minutes, but the Ragin’ Cajuns pulled away to lead by 12 at the break. A-State held a 24-23 lead with 8:04 to play in the first half, but Louisiana used a 12-2 run to open a nine point advantage at 35-26 with 4:54 remaining. A-State pulled back within five, 35-30, but the Ragin’ Cajuns kept the momentum going with a 13-6 run to end the half with the 12 point advantage.
The Ragin’ Cajuns shot 56.3 percent (18-32) from the field in the first half, hitting 5-of-8 (62.5 percent) from 3-point range. A-State was 53.6 percent (15-28), but did not make a 3-pointer on only two attempts. The Red Wolves were a perfect 6-for-6 at the charity stripe while Louisiana was 7-of-9 (77.8 percent).
How It Happened (Second Half):
The Ragin’ Cajuns opened the half outscoring the Red Wolves 16-5 to lead 65-41 with 14:27 to play. A-State trimmed the deficit to 18 points twice after the run, but Louisiana held off any chance of the Red Wolves getting closer until the final four minutes. A-State ended the game on a 10-0 run to set the final score at 85-74.
A-State held the Ragin’ Cajuns to 40.7 percent (11-27) from the field in the period and 5-of-13 (38.5 percent) from 3-point range. The Red Wolves were 1-of-3 (33 percent) from 3-point range and 12-of-26 (46.2 percent) from the floor.
- A-State started Ty Cockfield, Marquis Eaton, Rashad Lindsey, Tristin Walley and Tamas Bruce. It was the 16th different lineup combination this season, tied for the fifth-most in NCAA Division I play this season.
- The Red Wolves did not make a 3-point field goal in the first half, marking the fourth half this year to not hit a 3-pointer. The others were versus UT Arlington (0-7), Omaha (0-8) and Eastern Michigan (0-2).
- Ty Cockfield posted his eighth game of 20 or more points this season.
- Salif Boudie had a career high 11 points topping his previous high of 10 against Henderson State. He equaled his career high in rebounds with eight.
- Tristin Walley had a career best 14 points and had six rebounds for the third straight outing.
Arkansas State will wrap up its regular season at ULM on Saturday. Tipoff is set for 2:00 p.m.